The weight of an SUV can vary greatly depending on the make and model of the vehicle. Some smaller SUVs may weigh around 3,000 to 4,000 pounds, while larger, luxury SUVs can weigh over 5,000 pounds. Additionally, the weight can also be affected by the materials used in the vehicle’s construction and the presence of any additional features or equipment.
What size jack do I need for my SUV?
The size of the jack you need for your SUV will depend on the weight of your vehicle. Most SUVs will require a jack that is rated for at least 3 tons, which is the weight of the average SUV. The price of an SUV floor jack can vary depending on several factors, such as the brand, the type of jack, and the weight capacity.
- A basic steel floor jack can cost around $50 to $100.
- A mid-range aluminum floor jack can cost around $100 to $200.
- High-end floor jacks made of steel and aluminum can cost $200 or more
It’s important to note that a jack with a higher weight capacity will be more expensive. Additionally, some jacks come with additional features such as low profile design or quick lift capability, and these also can affect the price.
Popular SUV models
There are many popular SUV models available on the market. Some examples are:
- Toyota RAV4 (3490 lbs): A compact SUV known for its reliability and fuel efficiency.
- Honda CR-V (3,455 lbs): Another compact SUV that is popular for its spacious interior and smooth ride.
- Ford Explorer (4,345 lbs): A midsize SUV with three rows of seating, offering plenty of space for families.
- Chevrolet Tahoe (5,661 lbs): A full-size SUV with a strong V8 engine and a towing capacity of up to 8,600 pounds.
- Porsche Cayenne (4,582 lbs): A luxury SUV that offers high-performance capabilities and a sleek design.
- BMW X5 (5091 lbs): A midsize luxury SUV with a spacious interior and a variety of powerful engine options.
- Mercedes-Benz GLE (4,718 lbs): A luxury SUV that offers a comfortable ride, advanced technology, and a variety of engines.
- Tesla Model Y (4,416 lbs): An electric SUV that offers a range of up to 326 miles and great acceleration.
How to lift an SUV with a floor jack?
Lifting an SUV safely requires the use of a jack and jack stands. Here are the basic steps to lift an SUV using a jack and jack stands:
- Park the SUV on a flat and level surface.
- Engage the parking brake and put the SUV in a park or first gear (manual transmission)
- Locate the jacking points on your SUV. The jacking points are typically located near the frame of the vehicle, close to the wheels.
- Position the jack at the designated jacking point on the frame of the SUV, making sure the jack is securely in place.
- Slowly lift the SUV using the jack until the wheel is off the ground.
- Once the wheel is off the ground, place the jack stand under the designated jacking point on the frame of the SUV, as close as possible to the jack.
- Slowly lower the SUV onto the jack stand, making sure it is securely in place.
- Repeat the same process with the other wheels.